what is coats disease?
Coats disease is a very rare eye disease that causes the blood vessels in your eye to leak, causing retinal detachment, blindness and—in extreme cases—the loss of your eye.
Coats can be discovered when taking a photo and the resulting image includes one yellow eye and the other red. The yellow eye is the Coats Eye.
an example of what happens when taking a photo of someone with coats disease. the yellow eye is the coats eye.
Why we fundraise
Just after Christmas of 2013, our son, Sean, was diagnosed with Coats Disease. We were at his routine eye exam at Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. Within moments of starting his exam, we knew something was terribly wrong. We were blessed, however, to be in a place where the doctors knew what they were looking at. Since Coats Disease is so rare, most eye doctors will never come across it in person.
We quickly went home to Maryland to seek out the best care possible for our son. Sean was seen on Monday, January 6, 2014 and was in surgery the next day.
Sean is being treated at The Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins University and is getting great care. He has had seven surgeries since January 7, 2014. His eye is now stable and his eyesight has gone from 20/2000 at the time of diagnosis to 20/70! He is The Wilmer's "Miracle Case".
This is not the first time Coats Disease has effected our family. My cousin's son also has the disease. It is unheard of to have two children from the same family diagnosed with Coats. They have yet to identify a genetic link for the disease.
Throughout this journey our family has come to realize that we have to give back. We have to make this disease easier to handle for the next family... and that is how the Curing Coats Fundraiser was born.
about the fundraiser
Sean's team at The Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute includes a retina specialist, Dr. Handa and ophthalmologist, Dr. Repka. They both work closely with Dr. Akrit Sodhi, who is responsible for researching a cure for Coats Disease. Before our family started the fundraiser, The Wilmer Eye Institute was not researching the disease.
We founded the fundraiser shortly after our son was diagnosed in 2014. In the ten years since the diagnosis of our cousin's son, treatment barely changed. We wanted to change that. Our hope is to make a difference for children with Coats Disease and assist a major eye institute as it works towards a cure.
Since 2014, we have hosted a large party at our home in Clarksville, Maryland. Through the generous donations of our community—food trucks, music, photography, supplies, raffle items, etc.—we have been able to donate 100% of all donations directly to The Wilmer Eye Institute and the research of Dr. Akrit Sodhi. All $84,000+ of it!
We can't wait to host the 5th Annual Curing Coats Fundraiser this Fall and we hope to see you there. If you are interested in donating to this cause, please visit the Wilmer Eye Institute's donation page and designate your donation to the Coats' Disease Research Fund.
You may also purchase a t-shirt for this year's fundraiser to make a donation.
We are so excited to fundraise for Curing Coats this fall. This year's event will feature music and dancing from a local band, Out of Order.
We will have raffles for some amazing prizes, food, games and great company! If you would like to donate your services/talents for this evening—or know someone who would—please send us an email at email@example.com.
Donations can be made at the door (cash or check) or online. When donating online, please make sure to designate your donation to the Coats' Disease Research Fund.
when + where
Date: Saturday, October 6h
Time: 7 - 10 PM
The Smole Residence
6646 Autumn Wind Circle
Clarksville, MD 21029
- Donations can be made at the door or
- Purchase a Curing Coats Fundraiser t-shirt for $25 at the event
- Attire: casual, college football tailgate – rep your team
- Bring cash and/or check for the raffle
- Street parking will be available
- If you know someone interested in supporting the cause, bring them. The more the merrier.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Bring cash to participate in our great raffle prizes!
- Golf for 4 at 1757 Golf Club (Value $450)
- 2 Pairs of Designer Glasses (Value $450)
- 2 Pairs of Designer Glasses with Prescription Lenses (Value $460)
- Signed Brooks Robinson Baseball (Value $150-200)
- Fireball Whisky Tailgate Set (Value $150+)
- Out of Order Personal Gig (Value $1,500)
- Scenic Flight Over Maryland (Value: Priceless)
- Merriweather VIP Ticket Package (Value $400 - $1,200)
a big Thank you to this year's donors!
- T & J Waffles www.tandjwaffles.com
- Bullhead Pit Beef www.bullheadpitbeef.com
- Kona Ice www.kona-ice.com
- Mike's Gelato www.mikesgelato.com
- Jim's Bottleworks www.jimsbottleworks.com
- Jason's Wine & Spirits www.jasonswineandspirits.com
- Michelle's Kitchen www.michelles-kitchen.com
- Out of Order www.outofordermusic.weebly.com
Please be sure to designate your gift to support the Coats' Disease Research Fund!
- Click the "Donate" button below
- Designate your gift by selecting "Coats' Disease Research Fund" in the dropdown
- Fill out the rest of the form
- That's it! Thank you for donating!
donate by purchasing a fundraiser t-shirt
In addition to direct donations, we are also selling t-shirts at the event for $25. All proceeds will go directly to Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute for The continued Coats Disease Research of Dr. Akrit Sodhi.